Saturday, 11 December 2010

I am in Kochi!!! (I have decided to use 'kochi' more than 'cochin'. Kochi was the orginal name for this town. Only later it took on the colonial name 'cochin'. 'cochin' is also the more used name internationally.)

In my last post I wrote I feel perfectly prepared for this trip...and then on the plane from dubai to cochin the first thing my seat neighbour asked me was whether I brought an umbrella....of course I forgot to take an umbrella hahah but fortunately umbrellas are also available in kochi ;) He also told me that the planes in the last few days couldn't land at cochin aiport because of rain and foggy weather...so we were quite lucky that we could land!!
And so far I haven't seen any rain!! the view from the plane was magnificent, trees and water everywhere. And most of the trees coconut trees. Kochi/kerala seems to be famous for its coconuts.


I arrived yesterday with 33°C and sunshine!!! I was standing at the airport in a madly long line at the passport check point (what is this called? I guess there is a name for it?) in my fleece leggings and woollen socks and 'stulpen'. Hahah that was cuddly warm. And it was my first practice in being patient....those officers were soooo slow!!!
 
A taxi driver picked me up from the airport, ordered from 'raksha', the place denise and I will take our internships at. In the taxi I already received a call from the responsible woman at that place to welcome me to india. What a nice welcome!

I was also welcomed by huge billboards, advertising hotels, spa resorts, clothes, schools etc. On the streets I saw a mixture of tuktuks, rickshaws, very old buses and the newest BMW's....quite a mixture.

My taxi...first surprise was the drivers seat on the right side...i had totally forgotten about the traffic here...the english way: on the left side of the street. Then this taxi was much cleaner than I had expected and there was a cross hanging from the mirror...a cross?? I expected those colourful hindu gods which nepali taxis were covered with.... But also the house I am staying at: pictures of jesus and holy mary...i had to discover that there are many, many catholics here....quite unexpected in a more, I thought, hindu and buddhist country. Anyway, the advantage is: WE WILL HAVE A CHRISTMAS TREE IN OUR LIVING ROOM!!! jipiiiii :-)

The house we are staying at feels almost like a luxury palace hahah it is very clean, there is warm water, a big kitchen we can use and 24 hours internet. It is called a 'home-stay'. But actually this doesn't seem to be the home of anyone. The owners are working in dubai. There is one dutch woman here who welcomed me. She has been staying here for a little more than 5 months, taking care of the house and the guests. But she will leave end of december as her visa was valid only 6 months. After that no one knows who will take care of the house...so at the moment (from tomorrow on) it will be denise, me, an english short-stay guest and the dutch woman. Means we are sharing the whole house incuding two living rooms, a dining room and the kitchen with only another two women (although I think the english woman doesn't even use the kitchen).

After trying to catch up with some sleep from the journey I went to have a look at the town...and tadaaaaaa I got lost!!! NEVER ask an indian person for the way...always ask at least 5 and then pick the most logical answer hahah

So now I have blisters on my feet from not being used to wearing flip flops any more and walking 3 hours around because of being lost.... but it was nice to see fort kochi in the end, I went there again today and took some pictures.

Since last night I am the proud owner of an indian mobile phone!!! Jucchaaay. So if anyone ever feels like calling me: 00919567349142  
 





shop opposite of our house



we tried to communicate, but couldn't find a common language...



our house "the ark"





our street



our street



neighbour house
























school boys on their way to football practice



Fort Kochi - famous fishing nets. The only ones of this kind outside of china



























man standing in the see for fishing...



ice cream bike



























Very big, old trees


This one i took especially for Niels, you should attend one of these when you are visiting ;-D




Victor, house care taker, wanted to take me somehwere, but frst had to refuel :)

And not so good to see in this foto, his t-shirt shows MESSI. Last year in Nepal everyone was wearing t-shirts with britney spears. This year's indian star seems to be lionel messi



 
spectators at a football match


4 comments:

  1. "Dein" Haus und die Straßem sehen nun aber nicht nach Indien aus!
    Ganz toll! Vielen Dank für diese ersten Impressionen; ich muss mir gleich Zeit nehmen auch alles zu lesen. Du bist wirklich fleßig!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow you have been busy blogging-great to have some photos so soon and get a feel for the place. is that really india!?!-christmas carols, clean streets etc? so we should bring an umbrella with us? good luck with your first day< at "work".
    xx pv

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah thanks for your comments!! Yes, it IS india....when you are here i think you will notice some similarities ;-)I am only showing you the nice fotos here ;) I could start collecting some more rubbish and put it on the streets for you to have more of an indian experience? But you will see some small fires on the streets anyway, people burning their rubbish.. i think that should be enough :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo Justine!! Ja, die Kopfmassage nehme ich gerne :) die kann in Indien mein Alpecin Shampoo ersetzen ;)

    ReplyDelete